Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New England, New Angle Man




Mile:7,566

I left New York City about five days ago, and had a very enlightening experience.  In a city full of art, I was challenged with the highs and lows of city life.  Parking proved to be fun, but also the mindsets of the people I came in contact with.  My two friends out there, both successful in their respective fields, were a ray of sunshine in a very unforgiving metropolis.  Not that anything in my mind could ever be perceived as negative, as those who know me know this is my way, but it was like a good painting.  Some people you converse with you enjoy, their canvas bright with color and infinite lines.  Others dark and dismal, faded and shaded.  But who am I to judge either, for they are both great examples of good art.  If it makes you think, become opinionated, and effect you, it has done its job.  To me it was summed up with Central Park.  The dogs and I cruised the majority of the trails in the park, after some fesh snow hit the ground a few days before, and saw so many messages written across the landscape.  Now before I get too weird on you normal folk, keep in mind I have travelled 7,500 miles since October when this journey started, and I encouraged readers to stay tuned while I mold and become more perceptive to my surroundings.  Well, with that said, I am here. 
       The ground of Central park, covered in stone, scattered with select varieties of tree specimen, lay frozen to mother nature's cold way.  There were tunnels, overpasses, ponds, and well landscaped gardens.  But in the middle of the winter, you can see the towering buildings on all sides, closing in what I'm sure is a decent park in the summer.  Those who told me of its beauty stood corrected as my dogs rarely looked up to see the path, only looking up when necessary to find the next scent.  It was metaphoric of the city life.  You work, walk, eat, sleep, repeat.  In New York though, you have everything.  Though much is imported, it can be found everywhere., anytime.  So, needless to say, this Alaska lover started craving fresh snow, fresh air, and a new angle on his mindset.  That's when I decided to pack up, and head north to New England.
       Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts were next on my list, and I spent a day or so in each.  Boston was great, I had a very good brewery tour at Harpoon, they were a very cool bunch and hooked me up with some great swag.  The temperatures dipped slowly into the teens, and as I pulled into York, Maine, I was approaching the negatives with wind chill and all that fun stuff.  Luckily Erin helped me find some great things to do in Boston the night before, so I was eager to stay in and work on the fine details of my book.  Organizing, computing, drinking a few brews that I had stashed away from my brother's own strawberry blonde homebrew(thanks Jeremy, those were the last ones, didnt want 'em to freeze!).  From Maine, I headed just a couple hours west to Loudon, New Hampshire, where I am now.  I am fighting off a cold, which is almost gone, and then I will head to Plattsburgh, New York, to see another pal that I mushed dogs with on the Mendenhall Glacier in 2008.  We will visit Magic Hat Brewing in Burlington, VT, as well as several in upstate NY. 
       I am so lucky to see so much.  As I start heading back towards Michigan, I think of all the people who I've met, chilled with, and fell in love with.  I am also very thankful that I get to share this journey with my dogs, who have grown nice bushy coats to withstand the cold.  I have followed suit without a shave in about four months.  It is now I feel most alive, as I slowly exhaust my summer funds, tighten the reigns, and pack light through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Maine.  It is now I define my Alaskan teachings to dance with mother nature across the Eastern United States.  It is now, I go to bed...in a Red Roof Inn:-)

JWP   

No comments:

Post a Comment