Saturday, January 8, 2011

Magnetic South

Mile :6,300

       The winter has been great.  I have been sipping on some great beers to ring in the new year.  Though ashamed to admit it, I just finished a Michelob Ultra.  Sometimes in life you need a reminder that what your doing is for the greater good.  At least it's that way for me, sometimes.  I am 100% sure after drinking that fizzy stuff that if you want to drink beer to lose weight, you're absolutely crazy.  The caloric intake of ones' self is probably the first thing you should throw out the window when cracking a cold one, especially a local craft beer.  With that said, I know will resume my blog entry.
       Camping, in all of its glory, is a remarkable experience. You get to the site, unload, and set up your necessities.  Gathering firewood is essential in the Carolina mountains, whether it is cold or not.  The dense pine forests, mixed with some dogwoods and brush, illuminate with the dancing flames to create a safe yet mysterious landscape.  Erin and I drove around Uwarhee National Forest for four days, finding campsites in some beautiful areas.  The dogs were kept on a run I made for them, seeing as hunting season was in it's last days and we all know how much huskies look like deer..well maybe just Tut.  I had the remaining six or so brews that my brother Jeremy made, we're calling it Park Village Ale,  and a Trader Joe's Vintage Ale.  They were both unique, but from opposite ends of the beer spectrum.  PVA had such a good feeling to it, smooth and tasty.  That to me says it all, when you can simply say, "yup, that's a good beer alright."  The Vintage Ale was full bodied, and very spicy and aromatic.  It was smooth like the PVA, but had a little kick to it.  I sadly also finished the last of the Stroh Rum, which if you've ever had the stuff, you'd be right there with me in how sad of a moment that was, haha.  After our last night in Hanging Rock State Park, Erin, myself, and the poochies hiked to the top of hanging rock, named after a rock that sits on the edge of the mountain, and, well, you know, you can figure out the rest... It was a coyote howl at 4am kinda trip, everything was cooked great, the fire was always warm, and we were dialed in to the travel Scrabble, though rarely did better than a four letter word.
As I leave North Carolina Monday I will miss the hospitality that the South has given me.  I don't judge anyone ever, and know in my heart that there is good in almost everything.  I am thankful that I've had a full belly, as well as my dawgs.  We are about to set out on another journey North, and Winter as I know it will become a reality as I start breaking out the Carhart and Bunny Boots.  Thank you all that have let me into your life, it has been a great experience for me, as well as the readers that are starting to follow my journey.  The book is moving along great, I have been working on my short stories, editing them as needed, and trying to remember thos memorable life moments that we all have had.  
       The next two weeks I will be heading North to the New England area, and will be fortunate enough to run into my good friend Ryan, who is a member of Prussia, a progressive Indie/rock band from Detroit.  I have long known him and his brother Drew, and will follow them on their first East Coast tour for a few shows.  Check out their website here!  I have been playing shows myself the last couple of weeks, and have a blast playing in Greensboro and Elon.  I look forward to more shows and will try and have some info sooner than the day of the show, haha.  In two weeks I'll be in Maine, and will have covered four more states on the list.  Alright guys and gals, have the best week ever and see you on the trail!

JWP

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joey!

    I found your site from your comment on my sister's blog - Beer at Joe's (I'm kind of the MountainBeering lead writer).

    Way to go! I love adventure and beer, and you've done a wonderful job of mixing the two together. It seems as though we run somewhat parallel lives. I was also in SE Alaska for the summer. Except that I was leading cycling tours in Skagway.

    While I was up there, I met another guy who's super excited about beer and adventures, and we decided to bring MountainBeering out of it's cocoon. We recently put together a site (http://mountainbeering.wordpress.com/). It's definitely still in it's infancy, but hopefully MountainBeering will be full of fun, exciting material soon. Feel free to check it out, or we'd even be happy to relay some of your adventures. I could either post a link to some of your MountainBeering stories and pictures, or you can mention some new stuff to put up. Either way, keep having fun adventures, and enjoy good brews along the way!

    -Luke

    ReplyDelete