Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Population Porter

 Mile:7,000
       Virginia was my last stop in the south, and was fortunate enough to hang out with a good Navy friend and his wife before his deployment to the East.  I played a show in Norfolk, an incredible time, and then planned my trip north through Delaware towards Pennsylvania.  The Eastern shore of Virginia was a great transition or maybe a final wave  goodbye before the intensity of population overload. I set my compass on Milton,  DE, and those of you who love beer love Dogfishhead Brewery.  They are fun and creative, but stay very true to there recipes.  The 90 minute IPA, the 120 IPA, they blow your mind.  If you are a fan of Pales, this is your brewery.  I stayed the night in Wilmington, trying out Iron Hill BC, and then geared up for Philadelphia the next day.  Philly steak and cheese, you all know me by now, was oozing down my face as I walked the streets looking for the southeast Philly taproom.  That night Ryan was playing a show on the Upper east side, and it was fun to be around friends from way back in the day.  I find that my mind has grown with each step or mile I've moved.  This adventure is a true test of how well I am able to survive in several different elements.  I like to explain to people I meet that this traveling lifestyle is similar to my dog sledding experiences in Alaska.  I am faced with decisions every moment, making sure that I enjoy my present self, but also set myself up to succeed when I get to where I am going.  Knowing that I can camp out at anytime helps, but as my journey has continued to New York City, that option has diminished.
       I called up a friend from college, and was so lucky to stay at her loft in Brooklyn.  I stayed for three days, making dream catchers for an art show, walking the streets photographing graffiti everywhere, and eating some of the best Mexican food I have ever tasted.  The subway system, the live music everywhere, the hustle and bustle, it is all poetry in motion for the encouraged mind.  The dogs enjoyed a dog park under the Brooklyn Bridge several times this week, and for the time being, have been very patient with all the noises, pigeons, and infrastructure.  They are huskies, they are wolves, they survive.  I am human, I am a wolf, I survive.  We are a pack, we are connected, and I depend on my dogs now like they depend on me. 
       I walked Times Square, found on my second attempt 22 varieties of M&M's at M&M World, ate more pizza than Manhattan could throw my way, and drank a few really good German beers @ Heidelberg.  Now I am with Neal, a friend from High School, who is studying to become a doctor.  We people watched, he diagnosed the pool player with thyroid issues, and we traveled about last night from 90th and 1st.    Now I'm off to Central Park, to run with the dogs and take some pictures, and am hopeful that I can spend some more time in the city.  You truly have to be your own out here, much like Alaska life.  Just like Mother Nature, the grind of NYC cares not about your plans, nor your welfare, it simply is.  It is your choices that determine your welfare, whether it be driving recklessly to move 3 miles in two hours in rush hour, or 1,000 miles through Alaska's wilderness on dogsled during the Iditarod. 
       Thanks to all for your donations and helping this trip thrive and stay very much alive.  I am heading to Upstate NY next, then Portland, ME.  I have only 5 states left to visit and it is almost coming to the half way of my total journey.  I am excited, nervous, anxious, and patient for the weeks to come.  But for now I am just anxious, to get another slice of that incredible pizza!

JWP

No comments:

Post a Comment