Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Eternal Optimist



Mile:8,220
      
       Couldn't be happier with the last week.  I have had an outstanding time traveling from New Hampshire through up state New York.  I conquered the sickness, which when it's below zero takes its toll, and pounded down some incredible north east beers.  The journey began when I left the Red Roof Inn, in all of her pet friendly glory, to Burlington, VT.  The drive wasn't more than maybe five hours, and I prepared to visit a most anticipated brewery just south of Burlington, those who enjoy good beer will look it up and agree:-)  I also tried out some Ben and Jerry's, Phish Food, and walked around town for an hour or two.  My plan was to jump on a ferry about twenty miles north and head over to Plattsburgh, NY to stay with a good friend Adam that I ran sled dog tours with in Juneau, Alaska back in 2008.  After walking the dogs around and sampling Magic Hat, we boarded the rig, and off we went.  The 10 minute ride was fast, finding nine dollars and 50 cents after seeing the cash only sign was much longer.  Arriving into overcast Plattsburgh, I met up with Adam for what was going to be a grand four day adventure. 
       After a bottle of #9, we hiked with the dogs on a nice 3 mile hike behind his house.  The dogs were going bonkers in the fresh snow, I hadn't seen that since Virginia, and was happy to have them stretch out.  The next day we drove down to Glens Falls and sampled a brewery called Davidson Brothers.  We talked with the Manager, after he saw us taking pictures, and quickly cleared up the confusion as to why we were doing so.  He thought we were documenting a food problem or something, and I was like, "no man, I'm just taking pictures of the foam of the beer for a book I'm writing."  Probably thought I was being a smart ass, good stuff Micah.  After a talk with the owner, Rick, who claimed that he would "gladly finish any beer that we didn't like, for free," we met the brewer in the big room. Adam and I had a nice tour of a small true microbrewery and even got to see some fresh pressed hops ready for action.  The more I get tours of breweries, the more I understand the different scales that they operate under.  After a couple more pints, we payed an outrageous bill for two guys, then set off back home to eat some grilled cheese and soup. 
       The next morning we headed through the Adirondack mountains towards Lake Placid.  The beer was delicious, and we got some insight into what is being called a "Black IPA."  It curled my lip a little when I heard about a an IPA brewed almost exactly like a porter, but wasn't a porter, but may not be a pale...you get the idea, it's like breeding a rabbit and a cow together so you can get a cold drink after a hoppy run.  Though it sounds awesome, it just doesn't work that way.  So now the actual classification, or so I am told, is American Dark Lager.  This opens up the realm of what actually classifies a certain beer according to the great brew gods in the sky.  Either way, my favorite beer was the Frostbite, or Lake Placid IPA.  Super awesome, delicious, and the sampler was served on a hearty piece of pine with holes cut in it for the glasses.  That's a great way to get a mountain man like me to look at the beer!  Next stop Saranac Lake, the dogs ran around for a bit near a raging river, and we checked out the Ice Castle being built for winter carnival in a few days.  The final destination was South Colton, NY to attend the annual beach party that Adam's parents throw in their pull barn/shop/work area/beach front property.
       The whole vibe was awesome.  Great folks, amazing stories, snow falling, debauchery at its finest, and Busch light.  Though much of my book is about beer, the other half is about stories that define my life.  I could have written two books after this weekend, seriously.  The night of the party, I played two sets, from Bob Marley, to Johnny Cash, to originals, to iinevitably drunken banter.  It was a hoot as loved ones tossed each other into a kiddie pool in front of the stage, and my stomach got a real workout from the pounds of dips, meatballs, lil' smokies, and again, Busch light.  Thanks to The Crosley's for having me for a couple days, I will remember those two nights for the rest of my life!
       So how does a guy like me "one-up" that experience?  I hopped in my car Sunday morning at 7am and drove eight hundred and some miles to Boone, NC.  I must admit I had no real reason to stop seeing as I had driven most of I-81 a month or so before, so after fourteen hours, I made it safely to Erin's for the most legendary surprise visit and girlfriend of mine had ever received.  Making her think I was all alone camping in Pennsylvania farm country, I told her I was about to knock on some one's closed diner to see if they could spare a meal for a white boy, when "knock, knock," there I was.  I don't recommend driving fourteen hours for someone unless you're really trying to tell them something, or you have no other couch to sleep on.  I am a lucky guy, and believe that as an eternal optimist, everything will fall, fall right into place.
       Here I am, in North Carolina once again, but now I have traveled to 23 states, with Indiana and Illinois as my last two for the winter.  I have succeeded in my winter goals, and now will prepare several odds and ends for my book.  Now that I have so much information gathered and recorded into my computer, it is time to start thinking about contacting publishers, quoting self-publishing prices, and getting a few computer nerds together to help me come up with something presentable to investors.  The following weeks before I return to Alaska for the summer I will bring you not only great beer info on Indiana and Illinois and Michigan, but will slowly transition my writing styles as I will not have much to chat about in the way of beer and traveling like I have been.  I will slowly add in more of my Alaskan experiences as I too am a musician at heart, and want to incorporate all angles of my life with listeners, readers, and thinkers.  Talk to you all next week, enjoy the snow, sun, brews, and news!

JWP

No comments:

Post a Comment