Monday, December 19, 2011

Hold The Sun For Me, Old Friend.



       The words we speak are considered our truth.  Those who listen interpret carefully what we say and then onward it goes, like a game of telephone throughout our community and world.  I have found that as I get older I am defined by my truths by friends, family, and peers.  Yes, that's right, I almost wrote pears, but then I realized that if I'm writing a book about beer, I better double check my spelling, for an innocent passer by might think I'm writing about bears.. What I'm getting at is the root of my problem lately.  We are constantly proving to ourselves that what we are doing is right, or that the decisions made are defining on our lives.  I remember a time where experimentation, curiosity, and imagination were the tools for developing what I will become in the future. Well, that time is now.  And never more in my life do I feel like the power of all I have thought is honing in one an incredible time of my life.
       In two weeks I will embark on the last leg of my trip, 15 states left for me to tackle with a taste-tested tongue in search of the best beers yet.  Like any good traveler, I have researched where I will be heading, but leave the mystery in what I will find very much at the mercy of my "in the moment" way of living.  At times I will be overwhelmed with issues concerning strength of my vehicle, cash in my billfold, and warmth of my sleeping bag.  But at no time will I second guess what I'm doing and why I am doing it.  It's very much a "because it's there" frame of mind.
       I am skeptical that I will return to Alaska to brew beer, for communication has been a weak point in that venture.  Erin and I dream bigger than that now.  The reality of being farmers draws us closer to Virginia, where we both want to raise cattle, crops, and a family.  My wings are tired now, I've polished them for this upcoming journey like never before.  The organization factor and self determination is what will define my near future.  Planning is imperative, and as I sit down today and write as much as I can for my book, I know that when I'm camped out in the mountains of New Mexico, I will be able to soak up the sounds and give in to the beauty of life as it is intended to be.  I won't think about the weight or pressure, quite the opposite thoughts are necessary to cultivate defining ideas.
       The idea of choosing two microbreweries from each state and documenting it is conceivable, but actually getting there and not being just a tourist is what I am seeking.  I want to feel Geronimo's presence as I ride into the dawning of a new day, while He holds the morning light just long enough for me to finish what I've started.  I am hopeful the culture of past civilizations teaches me that what I'm after is what I've been searching for all along, and now that I've found true love, I believe that success and happiness are the keys needed to unlock the doors of a future of family, safety, and security.
       I wish you all the happiest of holidays and safe travels of your loved ones so that you may listen to Christmas songs until you can't stand it, and drink so much eggnog that your hide the belt until after the New Year.  Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the beginning of my last stand for brewers, beer lovers, and travelers alike.  I have found the reward of a craft beer in the place it is brewed to be sublime, and I encourage you all to drink local, live local, and give local.  Happy Holidays!

Oh, and before I forget!  If you are in Alabama,Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, or surrounding states please check out our new website for sled dog presentations.  I am offering an assembly geared towards teaching children about the joys of dog sledding!  Pass along to teachers and parents please!  Sled Dog Assembly  Thank you so much, this is how I'm hoping to help fund my travels, but as always you can click on that widdle bitty Donate icon and help too!

No comments:

Post a Comment