Sunday, December 4, 2011

Creative Farming


     
       We had such a great weekend.  After polishing off the 60 minute IPA from Dogfishhead, it was time to plan out a date with Erin.  We had plans to go to a small acreage farm seminar on Saturday in Asheboro.  Erin has entertained the thought of farming goats for quite some time now, and we thought going to a seminar might turn that spark into a flame.  But before all of that,I had to set up the date of all dates. Friday, after spending a few days with my parents in Cary, I headed towards Burlington with a dress shirt, new haircut, and a clean shaved face.  This was a big step for ol' Joe folks, for the last time I bought a dress shirt, I was applying for CVS/Pharmacy back in high school.  All dressed up, Erin and I hopped in the Ranger and drove to a dog park just south of Greensboro and let the doggies play around with the chuck-it and a frisbee. Tuckered out, the dogs and gang headed to the hotel to get ready for dinner.  Saffron Indian cuisine in Greensboro offered a great menu, including my favorite Palak Paneer.  Erin ordered the thali with some wine, and other than the loud southern gentleman, the experience was exceptional; not to mention a pint of hearty guiness.  Bellies full, we headed to the festival of the lights downtown with a super secret activity in mind.  Street vendors, music, dancing,and cool temperatures set up the ambiance of Christmas, a long awaited feeling that erin and I both love.  Passing through it all quickly, I searched for the ice skating rink, North Carolina's largest outdoor rink, just north of the city park.  Excited and nervous, we laced up and skated the night away.  The perfect date ended tired and sore, awaiting the next days activities in Asheboro.
       The business seminar was fun, educational, and full of idealists.  I got talking to a guy Ron about home brewing and growing hops, and he pointed me to some very helpful local resources.  I am chomping at the bit to start home brewing myself, and need to take advantage of this time that I'm in one spot long enough to brew.  Erin got helpful tips for career paths and farming plans, and off we went after a six hour lecture.  I think that farming is something we both will be good at, and will definitely fit into our lives later down the road.  If any of you have great tips for a beginner, please email me at joepawelek@yahoo.com.
       I want to say thank you to those of you who have emailed me this week with brewery recommendations and your stories about traveling and drinking good beer.  It is  these stories that motivate me and make me feel just plain good about what I'm doing.
       This upcoming Saturday and Sunday Erin and I will be at the Raleigh Flea Market selling our prints from our travels, mostly in Alaska and hawaii.  So come on down and find our booth, we'd love to share stories and try and sell you some of our photography!  Have a great week, and remember to be as active as you can now, because cookie season is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment