Friday, December 30, 2011

Hold the rain in your heart my Moon


     

  The holidays are somewhere between too fast and too full.  I saved my biggest meal for Christmas day at my brothers in Cary.  We had an amazing spread of ham, pomegranate super salad, squash sumpthin, and pirogi's I made with Erin and Julie.  I can't forget my favorite homemade dish from my mom, cheesy potato casserole.  Oh, and my dad's homemade mushroom soup...oh and...the list goes on.  I love eating as much as I love a craft beer, but sometimes with both I tend to take them in fast without "savoring the moment."  Erin's Grandpa told me over Thanksgiving dinner to slow down and appreciate what I'm eating, not to indulge in the quantity.. I've been told this before with lots of things in my life, and if I do settle down and have what city folk call a "formal interview" this will be my comment on things I'm not great at.  I sum it up as how I teach sled dogs to eat.  I put it down, you scarf it up. It's that simple.  After you do this for six years you pick up a few habits.  Some of them teach you to have a sense of urgency, some teach you infinite patience.  It just blows my mind how fast and slow things happen.  If you're careful, you can watch life's mystery dance between your eyes, but lose focus for a split second, and it's gone.  It's thoughts like these that help keep my heart beating.  In search of it all, if for nothing more than to deliver one more powerfully packed red blood cell to management upstairs.
  I am setting sail in just two short weeks and plan on going to Kansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Arkansas before bunkering down in Florida with my brother. I am going to miss the life I've shared with Erin more than anything else, and already am looking forward to our first night away when I get back from Florida.  Something about true love that separates boys from us men.  I never thought love could be so complex, and so simple, like what I was rambling about above.  Anyway, she's the best, and makes me a better person every day, and is becoming a strong woman in my life.
  The farm, the basement, the upstairs room.  I have slept in three different and unique spots for the last two months.  One thing they have in common, a bed.  This is the first thing I will liberate myself from once I hit the road.  Like confinement to the common, I have let myself become used to electricity, running water, and beds once again, making the transition to living out of a car that much more difficult.  It will take a few days in the woods to rekindle and sharpen my skills and passion in that department.  Maybe a bottle of Stroh rum is in order also.
  I look forward to Abita brew co, in Abita springs, LA.  They have awesome beer and I'm sure that state will bring lots of emotion to my writing and eyeing.  I know that this first trip will also be relatively warm, or hot to Alaskans, so camping is essential to securing my spending money.  I know I chose to write a book about expensive beer, so no pity needed, ha.  The prices of gas are down a little, the air is warm, the dogs are ready for new scenery.  I am locked and loaded with new totes, organization skills, and a few extra little goodies to make the drive with.  I am patiently awaiting your recommendations on breweries in the states I'll be headed to  in a couple weeks.  I have researched a rough route, but am always up for an adventure.

p.s.-  You should all look at my mother's birthday present that I got for her!  Click Here to check out her new website for all her arts and crafts!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment