Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Welcome one and all!


Hey there!

My name is Joe and those of you who know me know that I love travelling. I began exploring at a young age growing up in Michigan camping with Boy Scouts, as well as the occassional midnight stroll. My passion for movement and adventure really began to grow once I started a venture in Jackson, Wyoming almost five years ago. I learned to to "mush" Alaskan Huskies. These sled dogs were definitive in how I learned to become one with nature, and also to trust something so completetly that love was the result.
Now I don't want to get too far off of what this first post is supposed to be about. Currently North Carolina is home, well at least until tomorrow, then South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. A book was conceived by my mind early last summer, well, actually late June. I had gone through what some would call a life changing experience, and life threw a couple curve balls my direction. Luckily, I spent my pre-teens as a catcher of the local Y team and consider myself well to do in that department. You see, how we determine greatness in my group of friends is simple; conceive ridiculous idea, execute said idea. I may not be the best at the things I do, but nonetheless I try them to my best ability. That is what this book I am writing is about.
I am writing a compilation of stories from my own life, as well as highlighting two micro breweries in each of the 50 states. This blog was created so that you can see what happens to a 26 year old, who doesnt show up to work until April 1st, and has two Alaskan huskies as partners on this expedition across the United States.
So here's the breakdown for the dream I am embarking upon! I will visit two microbrews in each of the 50 United Sates, chosen solely on where me and the dogs end up. Friends houses will occasionally be close to the brewery, other times, I'll stop by the essentials to document true American taste! This blog is designed to let friends and family keep up on my travels, as well as to prove that social networking is more than internet communication. I have made many friends across the Country, most from my seasonal job in South East Alaska, where I am Assistant Manager of a glacier sled dog operation from April-September. Cruise ships bring tourists to us, and we give them a 2 mile sled dog ride across one of the many glaciers in the Juneau Icefield. I will get more into this in the book.
The other part of the book is dedicated to short stories that I have written based on my life experiences. Now, I have seen and done some weird stuff. I simply want to provide the reader,you, with some funny stories while you're reading a book about beer. I love telling stories, I love drinking beer, and for some reason it took me till now to figure out how to travel around and write about both.
Another hobby of mine is music. I play acoustic guitar in the woods, at coffee shops, on top of mountains, and inside smoky buildings. I have played live for 11 years now, and find no greater high than playing in front of a crowd. I will use all of these elements of my creative side to enhance the reader or listeners experience while on this journey.
Well, that is enough for now, thanks for reading, and I will continue to improve the format of these posts, when applicable. Have an amazing day.

JWP

3 comments:

  1. I will enjoy reading about your adventures! Are you coming to Seattle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great meeting you and the pups at the park tonight! I'll be following your story and living vicariously. Come back to North Carolina when you can. Maybe Cosby will learn some manners in the mean time - sorry about your frisbee. :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe! You never seize to amaze me! Lauren and I are in Arizona and have a great Micro Brewery in town called Barrios (Good fish Tacos as well). Let me know when you make it out this way and well if you don't make it to Tucson i'll meet you somewhere else to help create this amazing experience. Glad you are doing well and I can't wait to hear more about your travels!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete