Sunday, November 7, 2010

Forever Fall


I have chased the colors for nearly two months now, from Skagway, Alaska to St.Augustine, Florida. I seemed to be counting the days of rain, which could be counted on one hand, against the days of cool breezes and cloudless skies. This has been the setting for me as I embark on my journey across the United States. My traveling mind has set a few roots down here as I plan for the second leg of my journey/ Since my start in Michigan about two weeks ago, I have headed south, meandering about the Country frequenting old friends couches, which have been just as comfortable as the old stories dusted off for a special occasion. This is how I have been, and through the years have become. I love to tell stories of all magnitudes. When I was a young Boy Scout, I thrived to hear what others had done and seen. Now I find myself gaining true value from my past decisions and opportunities.
The book that I am creating holds stories from my life that aren't different from many of you. I hold the reigns, and sometimes let the horse sniff out the trail. And what some would call careless or ill-prepared,I call a right to define ones self. As a dog musher, I quickly became keen to reading all of nature's signs; a broken twig, an approaching storm, or a suggestive silence. This perception of the moment makes clear what thoughts are needed when traveling in any fashion. I always wanted to be a cowboy, galloping the vast West, living off the land and living to tell about it. The energy that I am trying to convey in each story derives from a real emotion, like the one you get when you smell the brisk fall air, and the distant sound of geese flying in formation.
The oldest city in the nation, cold for this time of year, welcomes me to my brother and sister's home. Michigan to Florida, 8 states in total, 15 breweries. I'm still waiting for that 16th, choosing two per state is considered by some a travesty. With all of the local craft beers fizzing up, it can be damn tough to pick two, or three...or four. But this is only in part what my book is about. The stories, 100 in total, and 100 microbreweries visited, is about communicating. When I see someone and talk to the in person, the experience is so unique, almost a historic notion in this day and age. It seems easy to connect online, on the phone, or by the pony. A drifter, gypsy, nomad, or viking searches the unknown, not fearing what lurks immediately in front. They care more for the experience of living now, reading or conversing a situation to its full potential. It's almost like giving up and letting nature carry you. I'm not suggesting you go to a grateful dead reunion show, I'm just saying that it's ok to give up every once and a while and re-center your inner "Jerry."
As I prepare for my next 8 state adventure, I hope to live fully, knowing that friends whom I have visited will keep pushing on in their successes and endeavors. The true meaning of any published work of art is to evoke emotion, and that's exactly what I am in search of. Alaska is currently 4,000 miles away from me. I don't think you could convince anyone else that it seems closer than ever during this 40 degree Floridian frost.. see you soon. `

2 comments:

  1. There is not a singe photo of beer or you enjoying beer on this page. :) That's all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tip, enjoy the rain cloud ;-)

    ReplyDelete