Saturday, February 18, 2012

Love



Mile:over the hump

       So here I am, ready to embark on my last leg of the trip, sitting down in the now famous Burlington North Carolina.  I have taken the last week and a half off of the beers, in part because of all f the fun of hanging out with PJ, but also to cleanse my pallet.  I must say this week has been great.  I am finally caught up on everything in the book.  It's tough when you're behind, but when you have motivation and great people around, it makes closing in on your goals seem like a breeze...well, maybe not a breeze, but you get where I'm going with it.
       On Valentine's day, I planned out a nice dinner with Erin, at our new favorite Indian restaurant in Greensboro.  We ate a hearty dinner, and after erin gave me my little presents, I told her I'd be right back with hers, because they were unwrapped and in my truck.  I took a deep breath, opened the door to the restaurant, and in I went awaiting my future.  I walked towards erin and as she looked up she said, "are you going to play me a song on your guitar?"  I asked if that was OK, and set down a few other presents in front of her.  I sang a song I wrote for her, talking about growing old, falling in love, sewing our seeds, and lastly, would she marry me.  I looked in her eyes and told her confidently that I asked for her Father's approval, and called her brother in Nashville to ask for his blessing.  Crying what at the time I hoped were tears of joy, she said YES and excitedly I stood up to the clapping audience and said, "She said yes!"  A nice group of older folks offered to pay for our dinner, and off we went to the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra to see the Valentine's day performance.  At halftime, I walked up to the sound engineers on the balcony and asked if they'd somehow mention this new engagement to the vocalist, and maybe he'd give us a shout out.  So the second set opened and to Erin's surprise,  John the singer told the audience that "Joe from Alaska asked Erin from Burlington if she would marry him, and Erin said Yes!" The crowd clapped, Erin cried again, and we kissed knowing that this was the beginning of the rest of our live's together.  So that is the story, the happiest day of my life, and now that Erin's told her Grandparents, I am excited to tell the rest of the world the hottest news in our life.  Thank you to all the people and dogs involved in getting us together, I am now ready to head west to celebrate the breweries out there, knowing my soul mate is with me wherever I go.  I love you Erin.
       First stop is Michigan to present my sled dog assemblies to various schools around Oakland County.  I have booked many, but still am looking to book more.  After a $3,000 transmission rebuild, I am anxious to work for some cash to help get me across the country, the Alaska nest egg gets smaller by the day this time of year.  I'm luckily great at camping and finding friends along the way, it wouldn't even be financially possible if it weren't for those two things.  I'll post again once I get to Michigan and let you know what states and when. I will be in Colorado by the 22nd of March, that much is certain.  Until next time, Go Wings and your 22 at home victories, and remember, keep your stick on the ice.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to the cutest couple i have ever served at Back 40!! I can't wait to read the rest of yalls stories in the years to come!

    <3 Jenn

    ReplyDelete