Monday, December 6, 2010

Goodbye North Carolina..for now!



Mile: 3,564

       So I found myself tucked into the Blueridge Mountains for a little over a week now.  I have enjoyed several tasty local brews, some of which I will give an honorable mention.  As far as my current location, and past geographical predisposition, I call North Carolina the "South."  Now you wouldn't expect there to be much else than moonshine and mandolins down here, but three breweries stand out so far on my trip, and Highlands Brewing Company out of Asheville is one.  With a wide variety and great cardboard sixer boxes, the true spirit of liberal Asheville comes out in every drop.  As a dark beer lover, I must recommend the Black Mocha Stout.  It is crisp, bright, and very passive when going down.  A good stout has a bite, but isn't hoppy like an IPA...But you know that, you're as much as an expert as I am!
       So Erin, myself, and the dogs have traveled across the Blueridge Parkway several days catching the sunrise, and often the sunset, as Winter beckons to Boone, NC.  King Tut, my four year old rescue(dog), is in his prime and is loving the open road as much as his master.  It is rare for a dog to live the life of Tut, and now that the snow is flying, he has been stretching out like a trapeze artist across the red and white tent.  I feel very blessed to have two great dogs while on my journey.  They have been a true companion as I crash at carious National Forests and friends houses.  I do want to throw a shout out to everyone that's taken me in so far, without you this trip would still happen, but surely be spent outside camping and showing up to breweries like a red headed hobo.  Being given a chance to reconnect with old friends, as well as meet new ones, has given me the energy on those lonely cold nights to be thankful for all the love in my life...
       Wednesday is my take off date.  I am traveling north to West Virginia, where I will visit the New River Gorge bridge, a  highly suggested stop along the way.  I will meander to Virginia, then to our Nations Capital next weekend to see two very close friends, both of which fight for our I wills also spend some time with a dog musher friend who took to biking tourists around in DC for a while.  As the cold and Christmas approach, I find that I connect with those of you who are away from your families.  Sometimes it's nice to be away exploring, and other times you long for family just the same.  I think it is important to balance both, just like everything else in this amazing world.
       Tonight I will celebrate to all those friends and family.  We are headed to the Boone Saloon for live music, local beer, and last call.  I hope you all have a great week, and I will be packing my blog with tons of great information on the next four states' breweries.  Stay tuned for shows I will be playing near you on my music page to the right, as well as pictures of Beanies for sale on my Facebook page.  I am an artist, and encourage you to find it in you to promote all artists locally to ensure that future generations can use their creative energies to make this world a healthier, happier place!


JWP

No comments:

Post a Comment