Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Best Brown Ale


Mile:12,222

         Howdy folks, I have been a busy man since I've been back home in the Mitten.  After a much needed week of frisbee golfing at Stoney Creek, and a very green St. Patty's day, I started planning for my next few weeks before Alaska.  This week I gave dog sledding presentations to a few schools in the Oxford school district.  It felt good to talk about dogs again, and though I haven't run Iditarod or many races for that matter, it was fun to answer questions coming from 1st-5th graders.  When the little one's look up to you for what you do, it reminds you of when you were in their shoes, daydreaming of what your future would hold.  We often forget that we were once full of inspiration and boundless possibillities.  It was great to see that fresh view on life, not worrying about where there lives will take them. 
       I gave a day's worth of presentations, all with Tut and Ketza in Harness and booties while they "worked" the crowd for free head scratches.  The school was pleased with the show, so pleased in fact that I am booked for three more schools next week, sweet! I enjoy public speaking, and when it's dog sledding, I feel like there are so many comparrisons between mushing and the rest of life, it's great.
       As the Spring warmth approaches, I know soon I will be back in the great state of Alaska. I just got done with a phone interview for the Oxford newspaper, and telling the journalist my story really made me itchy to get out there and build some more great memories.  It was a year ago that I finished recording my first album, and here I am, a year later, writing a book and being interviewed about my life. It all seems like a dream, but when one is faced with challenge of new experiences, he defines himself in each slow moment.  I have never been more honest with myself and those around me.  I finally have figured out a rythym that works for me, and I'm going to jam this song out for a long time to come.
      Between frisbee golfing, editing beer photos, dog hikes, guitar, and heartworm tests, I have remained focused on my research.  I recently tasted the best beer I have had yet on the tour.  It was right here, in Michigan.  Now why in the heck did I travel 12,000 miles to find the best beer was right under my nose?! Well, those who know me know that even if I tasted that beer right before the trip, I wouldn't have stopped and been satisfied; I would have bought three mini kegs of it and stretched it over a couple laughs and States.  What beer, you ask, has been your favorite after tasting over 60 breweries beers?  Well, you know a few facts;  It is most likely a brown ale, it is in Michigan, and it has to beat Orlando Brew Co.'s nut brown ale by a lot considering it isn't "organic."  Ok, sorry, I got a little beer nerdy there, I apologize, It's just that the person whom this answer is intended for will enjoy the suspense and logical reasoning involved in my final decision.  OK....drum roll please...Out of every brown ale tasted, the most delectabley delicious draught was Bell's Best Brown Ale.  Murky like a stream in the fall decomposing bright orange and red sugar maples, this brew holds malty notes that smooth out almost immediately after swallowing, leaving your palate with a light nut aroma, but no weight.  And wow, it goes good with a late winter ice storm and nothing better to do than enjoy a cold one!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment